Saturday night (3 hours):
- Removed rear derailleur from bike and cleaned thoroughly with denture brushes, Simple Green and WD-40.
- Scrubbed chain link by link with toothbrush and dish soap.
- Wiped grease off face, scoured fingers with toothbrush, and dashed out of house to serve as marketing ambassador for The Brothers Karamazov.
- Bought cable cutters, cable and housing.
- Removed old cable. (rusty derailleur cable = fun new cat toy!)
- Took GripShift apart. Dropped spring assembly; spent 1 hour trying to figure out how to return spring to "spring cavity." Replaced accidentally-wiped-off GripShift lube with Vaseline.
- Ran cable through arbitrary lengths of housing; attached derailleur cable; adjusted; prayed.
- Hopped into car to hear election news from Stewart and Colbert.
SUCCESS!! Quick & dreamy shifting!